First Lutheran was established in 1863, by German Lutheran settlers, as the first Lutheran church in the city of Green Bay. First celebrated its 150th anniversary in Sept. 2013.
First Lutheran is a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS), a Bible-based church body of about 380,000 individuals working together in 1,273 churches throughout the 50 states and in 12 countries around the world.
First Lutheran’s present facilities were dedicated in 1957. The Gothic-style building features a bell tower decorated with carvings of the four Evangelists. The main entrance is enhanced by carvings of the 12 Apostles. The theme of the stained-glass windows is “God’s Plan of Salvation.” The Altar, of Italian marble, features the Lamb of God motif.
First Lutheran provides tuition support for our children who attend a neighboring WELS Lutheran Elementary School.
First Lutheran provides ChristLight (Sunday School) (age five up through 5th gr.) and catechism instructions (6th-8th gr.) on Wed. evenings, materials for home studies, and adult Bible Classes on Sundays. First Lutheran also provides Bible Information Classes, as requested, for those interested in our teachings, and possible membership.
First Lutheran is a Federation member of our Fox Valley Lutheran High School in Appleton. Fox Valley Lutheran has about 580 students.
The carillon consists of 47 bronze bells (four octaves), ranging in weight from 20 to 5,280 pounds. The carillon, a gift of and supported by the Kaap Memorial Carillon Fund, was dedicated in service on December 22, 1957. First Lutheran’s carillon is one of only three in the state, and about 165 in the nation. Tours are given of the carillon, upon request.
The last public carillon concert was held in July, 2018. Read more.